Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 v-max 200 problem

Hi, everyone
    I have a 2004 yamaha V-Max 200 that will run great all day one day and then the next day I will be running 4500 to 5000 rpms and it will just cut out. After this occurs it will not start for a while. If I wait an hour she will sometimes fire up and run great and then later after running great for a while it will do it agian. I took it to a outboard Mechanic and he can not find any issue with the fuel pumps or fuel system so far. If anyone knows what we should look at please let me know. 2nd post this week, still need help. Thanks Guys.

Tommy

2004 Yamaha

Dear TBanks,
    I have examined your problem and have what I believe to be the solution to your problem. As a senior small motor repair spe******t at Falstaff Marine, I have seen this problem in several similar Yamaha models in your year range. What happens is as this high performance motor is run, the electronic ignition system, or powerpack, becomes overheated after running at high speeds. This is due to an inadequate heat sink cooling system, which was corrected with system modifications in 2006. Although boating enthusiasts pressed for a recall, the powerful Yamaha lobby was able to prevent one. This leads to the problems you are having in your motor.
    In order to correct your issue, there are several things that need to be addresses:
    1.) The cooling system needs to be upgraded. Your Yamaha dealer can offer you an upgraded water pump, model FYT6130, which can be installed with only minor modifications to the existing water lines and engine compartment. This includes the needed cooling plate for the second item.
    2.) The powerpack unit will have to be replaced. This can be done with the identical OEM part. Over time, the heat generated in your ignition system causes the components to degrade, which is why your problem is getting worse. Removal of the old ignition module will allow the cooling plate to be installed underneath, preventing future overheating issues.
    3.) Due to the probable fouling of the system from poor ignition system firing, replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires, and have your piston cylinders checked for pitting due to excess carbon deposits.
    4.) I would also recommend that you modify your electrical system to include 4 ga. wiring from the battery to the wiring harness. This will prevent excessive losses from the cycling of the new FYT6130 cooling system, and prevent battery damage.
    I hope this helps! Please call me so we can discuss your problem in greater detail.
    Yul Beyondise
    Motor repair supervisor
    Falstaff Marine
    Selma, AL
    334-541-0107

Comment

Thanks,
      I will try and give you a call this morning. I really appreciate the reply.
      Tommy

Comment

I will be going to church at 10, can you call soon? Otherwise, call me Thursday evening after 7PM.
        -Yul

Comment

Working...
        X