Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor is cutting out

Hi,
    I have a 1988 Yamaha 150 ETLG that will throttle up and plane just fine. However, when I usually hit about 40 RPM the motor will immediately cut down to about 31 RPM. I have checked all fuel possibilities, changing out the fuel filter, fuel pump, deep cleaning of the carbs (replacing all gaskets) and checked for any type of air leaks. I have changed out all 6 spark plugs. I had a buddy actually squeeze the pump while running it full out and when he stopped pumping it the motor immediately shot back up to 41 RPM. I pulled the plugs again to see if all were firing and found that I had fuel in / on plugs 1, 2, and 6. You could defiantly tell that they were not firing due to the amount of fuel still on the plugs and inside of the threads. There was "A LOT" of fuel in the water when I shut it down and went to idle from the prop casing. The motor when idling sounds very rough but when I throttle up on the idle it quits but immediately starts to smoke pretty bad. Would this be case of needing 3 new fuel ignitions? or would it be the case of getting new spark plugs and making sure the gap is correct. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks John (grimsleyjk@yahoo.com)
    Last edited by Grimsleyjk; 08-28-2010, 09:24 PM.

Sounds like ruptured diaphrams in fuel pumps.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

motor cutting out

I have replaced the fuel pump with a new one and the problem still persists...do you think it is time to put it into a shop? I am really dragging my heels on this thought since the last time I was looking at a $1300 fix that I did myself for only $53.00.

Comment

Have thought about buying a service/repair manual for the motor and following the troubleshooting steps it has in it

Comment

you have 2 lp fuel pumps

Comment

motor cutting out

I know of the fuel pump located next to the fuel tank....where is the second one located? And thank you for your reply. I am still trying to locate a good manual for the motor. I have a buddy who says that he has one that he will let me borrow but has not given it to me yet. Reason to get my own. Thank you all for the help. This old jarhead needs it badly.

Comment

you have 2 fuel pumps that supply carbs,mounted on your port side of motor, follow fuel lines from motor mounted filter

Comment

motor cutting out

Thank you again for the quick reply. I have checked both of them and they both are very clean and the gaskets are visibly in a new condition. I checked the inside for anything out of ordinary and both are very very clean. I am at a complete loss here.

Comment

Working...
                X