1999 OX66 S225TURX Power Tilt and Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 OX66 S225TURX Power Tilt and Trim

My motor would raise on its own as long as the main power switch was on. I could bring it back down with either the control switch on the engine or on the throttle control. However, the motor would continue to raise once I took my hand off either control switch. By using a shop manual, I troubleshot the power tilt and trim and determined my relay was bad. I replaced the relay and now my engine will go down but not go up. If I reverse the blue and green wires that attach to the relay which control the tilt motor, I can raise the motor by pushing the down switch on either the throttle or lower cowling. I checked the 30 amp and 80 amp fuzes with a multimeter and had continuity through them. I am completely baffled by this issue and just spent $138.00 on a new relay. Can someone give me some guidance and help?

one switch or the other is bad, unhook one at a time to isolate, probably the one on the motor

Comment

I will try this, I will let you know if this corrects the problem. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I tried disconnecting the one on the motor, it still wouldn't go up. Where would the quick disconnect be for the one on the throttle?

Comment

need to check to see if youre getting voltage to relay when hitting switches

Comment

I tried disconnecting each switch individually and trying to raise the motor with no luck. Then I tested the switch on the engine for continuity and it ohm'd out ok. Then I tested for power at the red wire going into the engine switch and had power standing by. I also checked for continuity from the blue wire (engine up wire) at the engine switch to where it goes into the quick disconnect for the relay and it ohm'd out ok, complete circuit. I tested both 30 amp and 80 amp fuses again both checked out fine. My conclusion is the relay is not switching when energized by the blue wire when I press either control switch in the up position leading me to believe my new relay is defective. Does anyone have any other ideas as to why my motor will not raise? I appreciate any assistance.

Comment

I checked both switches for voltage at the relay quick disconnect and the switches were working properly sending power to the relay. They worked in both up and down positions which leads me to believe I got a faulty part. I tested the relay by hooking it up to a 12 volt battery (black pole to negitive side of battery, red pole to positive side.) Then I ran an additional wire from the battery positive side and touched the blue and green wires at the relay quick disconnect and nothing, I expected the relay to click or something. I took my relay back to the boating center I got it from and they grudingly took it back and ordered me a new one. I will post my results once the new relay is here.

Comment

Sucess!! I installed the new relay today and the engine raises and lowers perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                X