1991 Yamaha 85 Shift Linkage??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Yamaha 85 Shift Linkage??

My engine started a peculiar problem yesterday. Seems that the shifter, when in neutral is still somewhat slightly engaed in forward. I can hear a clicking sound from the lower unit and the prop spins quite fast. When shifting from reverse to neutral, I hear a fast clicking sound, slowing until the prop stops and reverses direction to forward again.

Does this sound like something that can be adjusted? If so, then how can it be adjusted. If not, then what can be happening in the lower unit?

unhook the linkage at the motor , run motor and manually engage forward and reverse. if all is fine with the lower unit you can adjust the cable ends. inspect your shift shaft for weakness as in 91 it was not stainless and can rust at the opening above lower unit.

Comment

Thanks jb123

I did the check and the problem was still there. The shifter shaft looks good. I dropped the lower unit and checked everything externally, and all appears to be ok.

I manually turned the shifter shaft until I found a "sweet spot" where the prop spins freely in both directions, but is is a very small sweet spot. I re-installed the lower unit and tried to adjust the cable end to find it, but no good.. It still has the same problem.

The true neutral position apprears to be with the shifter just slightly back towards reverse.

Is there a bushing or something in the lower unit that may have failed to cause the slack?

Comment

Working...
      X