V X 250 hp Squeaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V X 250 hp Squeaking

I have a 93 VX-250 that runs well , but has just began to make a squeaking noise. Very similar to what a cars belts sound like? I have good water discharge and the squeaking goes and comes but it's pretty much present all the time. It's squeaks in and out of gear and doesn't seem to change it's tone. Could this be a sign of an impeller on it's way out? This "squeaking has not effected the performance of the motor at all but i know it's not a factory sound. Any help??

dday,
    I don't think the squeaking would be from the impeller of the water pump - try taking the flywheel cover off and run the outboard on the driveway with the ear muffs. Just a thought.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

I would be very interested in what it is. I have a 1987 200hp that has also made the same noise you describe. It only happens at idle or slightly above and the engine runs fine. Compression and everything is still well within factory specs and it still does it with a brand new water pump.

Comment

My '97 250 OX-66 does the same thing... Hmmmm?
        Does kinda sound like a belt on a car or something? Does not do it all the time.

Comment

as i see it, it would have to be the upper or lower crank seals,upper driveshaft seal of lower unit or waterpump impeller. could be that any of those are dry and wearing out and you can lube 3 of 4 of them.

Comment

thanks for all of your input. Since the boats in the water i have titlted the motor as much as possible and have run it at the dock. At start up i have no sounds at all and after the motor has run for roughly 5-10 mins is when i hear the noises. i have verified that it is comming from either the mid section or down below and traveling up. After all my ear is ight around the lower cowl or just around the exhaust ports? this noise is present in gear and out? It really doesn't seem to sound trouble some but i know it's not FACTORY? Where are the lube points that you speak of. 3 of 4 points?

Thanks

Comment

jb123,

I would like to agree with you, but if a seal is not getting lubed during operation it builds heat and heat is not friendly to rubber seals. The oil seals are lubed from the inside by design. If this was an oil seal I would have toasted mine over 1000 hours ago.

D-

Comment

I have the same problem with a 1991 vx250 have changed the water pump, lower drive seals, have checked the lower crank seal - all seems ok has anyone solved this problem?

Comment

is anyone else experiencing the squeaking on there vx- 250's.

Comment

I have the same thing on a F115TLRD. I'm really curious to know what it is. I'm hoping to find out on my 100 hour service in a month.

Comment

Could it be the idler pully on the timing belt?
                      There is a bearing in there, and it could be causing the squeaking.

Comment

The timing belt is what I was thinking as well. I have twin 2004 225's 4-stroke. Only one squeaks and only occassionaly.

The problem I'm trying to understand now is fuel leaking (on occassion) into the crankcase. I've heard the computer, thermostats, too cool running temperature, ring free, etc etc. Anybody got any clue on that?

Sevral friends have the 4-stroke series from 115-225 and several, the majority, have the same problem We call it "makin' oil" because the crankcase level increases with the addition of gasoline.

Comment

Squeaking

Gentlemen - I don't know if we are all talking about the same "squeaking noise". F250 with <200 hours. Had the squeaking noise from about 100 hours. I thought it was a squeaking belt. Bought some belt dressing spray. Applied once a year and noise goes away. Hopefully this SIMPLE fix is what you are experiencing!

Comment

Maybe that rubber drive shaft bushing. Some motors you can access the drive shaft from outside with a can of spray silicone, but otherwise you may need to drop the lower unit and check/lubricate/replace that rubber bushing. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X