87 200 oil problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 200 oil problem

I have oil leaking from one of the bottom carbs, It will drain the motor mouted oil tank. Is the injection pump bad or are there check valves located somewhere. Also we just bought this boat and being 18 years old, Talking with a few boaters is it in my best interest to disconnect the injection system and mix gas and oil in the tank. Any advice would be helpfull It's my first outboard and it only has 510 hours on it but has not been in the water in 3 years.

There should be a little plastic coupler (p/n 6E5-13132-00-00) in the lines, they're restrictive orifices that are suppose to stop the flow of oil unless its under positive pressure from the pump. You should see one in every oil line from the pump to the intake manifold ports. You may need to replace a few, but you'll end up replacing the whole line because of its age. that old tubing will break if you breath on it hard.
    A better bet would be to install the updated oil pump assembly and all new lines if your motor doesn't have it already. They upgraded the oil pump after '87 and offer upgrade kits for them (p/n 6R4-13200-09-00). But the Yamahas run better with their Precision Blend oil systems intact. People that remove the system and just go with their own premix blends are usually just too cheap to do it right.

Mike....... Miami, FL

Comment

Working...
    X