HELP - 50 HP Yamaha - Fuel Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - 50 HP Yamaha - Fuel Problem

I have a 1988 50 HP Yamaha on a 15 foot bowrider. I was out yesterday and had a problem with the engine. I beached it and found that when I checked it the fuel was not geting to the gas filter. I checked the gas line from the tank after the ball and that was working fine when I depressed the little ball. I figured out that the fuel pipe joint was not working correctly. I bypassed it and connected the fuel line directly to the fuel filter connection. On my way back home the engine ran perfecly for a few minutes and then bogged down to about 1500 rpm. I made it home very slowly and because of the weather couldn't check much further other then to notice when I got in I found the fuel ball was not hard and when I pumped it up the engine RPM's increased.
    I just ordered a new fuel pipe joint, which I know I need but my question is, will the engine run OK without the fuel pipe joint, with it's built in check valve?

It will run ok with connecting fuel hose direct to fuel filter, may have bad fuel pump or fuel hoses and possible air leaks in hose connections or in fuel filter, check o-ring.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Reviving an old thread for future searches...

Sounds like if you bypassed it and the pump still collapsed then you need a new fuel pump. Since you pumped it with you hand you were doing the work for the wearing/worn pump, which is why the engine speed increased.

Comment

Working...
      X