Bad Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Gears

Can anyone help I have a pair of F150's on a protector RIB I am having touble selecting FWD and Reverse on the Port engine. I can adjust the cable at the engine end to select fwd or reverse and it will go into one of those gears fine but when you try to adjust the cable to find a happy medium it iis not happy. I have had the bottom end looked at by two local Yam dealers and they say all is fine.
    Having looked at the engine myself today I think the problem may lie with throttle control. I took the cable off the selctor on the engine and with the engine running I can select foward and reverse by hand no problem, I checked with the other engine and both feel the same. I reconnected the cable and watched while my friend engaged fwd and reverse it looks to me like the cable isnt being pushed and pulled enough!
    I have started to take the throttles out to see if there are any worn parts inside they look like pretty complicated bits of kit!
    Can anybody help with:
    The problem Discribed above?
    Removing and taking the controls apart?
    Removing the Cables from the controls?
    I think the Controls are Twin 704's

Online Dating

Try our free online accelerated dating service

Comment

Originally posted by tomsausage View Post
      Can anyone help I have a pair of F150's on a protector RIB I am having touble selecting FWD and Reverse on the Port engine. I can adjust the cable at the engine end to select fwd or reverse and it will go into one of those gears fine but when you try to adjust the cable to find a happy medium it iis not happy. I have had the bottom end looked at by two local Yam dealers and they say all is fine.
      Having looked at the engine myself today I think the problem may lie with throttle control. I took the cable off the selctor on the engine and with the engine running I can select foward and reverse by hand no problem, I checked with the other engine and both feel the same. I reconnected the cable and watched while my friend engaged fwd and reverse it looks to me like the cable isnt being pushed and pulled enough!
      I have started to take the throttles out to see if there are any worn parts inside they look like pretty complicated bits of kit!
      Can anybody help with:
      The problem Discribed above?
      Removing and taking the controls apart?
      Removing the Cables from the controls?
      I think the Controls are Twin 704's
      I've now done this managed to get a new left hand control and fitted it. Its a bit better but still not great if the boat is going foward I have to go into reverse on the starboard engine first to stop it reverse will then engage. If I dont do this it just grinds until the boat has stopped. The same happen if i'm going astern and try to go foward I guess somthing is worn in the lower unit any Ideas?

Comment

May be too much slack in shift cable, might try a new cable.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X