digital trim indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital trim indicator

The trim indication on my digital tachometer was reading correctly till yesterday. Now only when the 150hp motor is tilted all the way down does the indication come down a few bars from the top. Is there some kind of adjustment or trick to get this reading correctly? This unit is six years old and has the four idiot lights but no buttons like the accompanying digital speedometer. The owner's manual talks about the unit but is no help on calibration.

tt,
    Sometimes the sensor arm that is spring loaded and rubs against the sensor ring cam get corroded - try squirting your favorite lubricant (WD-40)on it and where it goes into the sensor housing (located just in front of the steering rod housing of the motor bracket). You can see it from the front of the motor or can tilt the motor all the way up and get to it (be sure and drop the locking lever for safety). Squirt the arm and then move it by hand and check the reading on the digital gauge.
    The sensor ring cam might be broken - check it also. It is easy to replace and one of the few items with "Yamaha" on it that costs less than ten bucks.
    Other than that, I know of no calibration for the trim sensor. I found my ring cam broken and replaced it and now my digital readout is way off. The ring cam that I replaced had a keying "nipple" on the inside of the ring that fits into a hole on the bracket - no adjustment. I am thinking about filing down this nipple and then rotating the ring until the readout is correct.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X