Advice/Help on Fin Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice/Help on Fin Repair

I've calmed down enough to search out help/advice on repair of my Yamaha 50hp 4 Stroke motor.

Long story short, the "fin" was sheared off today. The prop was undamaged. The overall condition of the motor is excellent with the exception of the sheared fin.

What is the process of repairing this part? Does the entire lower part of the motor need to be replaced? Can the fin be sodered?

If anyone has a ballpark figure of what a typical repair bill for this procedure, i would be very greatful.

Thanks
    Coomes4
    Elko, MN

Coomes4,
    It happens a lot - my fishing buddy just recently pulled his rig home without raising the outboard (had a few too many) - needless to say, the skeg (fin) was worn down pretty bad by the time he discovered it - did some prop damage too.
    You need to take your outboard to a prop shop - get some references - they can weld another skeg onto the lower unit. You might save yourself some money by taking just the lower unit to them - drain all of the oil and remove the prop.
    As far as costs, just a gut feel says around two hundred, maybe less. Have the prop shop check your prop for any possible damage also.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken

Thanks for the reply. I'll post my outcome.

Comment

Working...
      X