chirping yamaha 50 ELH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chirping yamaha 50 ELH

about a month ago I picked up an 1987 yamaha 50 ELH outboard motor and finally got around to giving it a tune up and I have a problem. see below.

my problem is when i go to start it it starts and idles for 20 sec and then it chirps and dies. if you restart it it may run for a little longer then 30 sec and then it chirps and dies again. no clue why this happens.

I took the carbs off and had then rebuilt inside and out put them back on and no change the chirp comes back and the motor dies or slow's down but the chirp is there. now I have replace the spark plugs all fuel lines and it's still doing the chirp.

is there anything else I can check or replace to make the chirp go away??????

pssss. if this helps out in anyway if you put it in gear and give a little throtle it the noise goes away but put it back in idle and the chirp comes back

please any help on this matter would be great thanks
    Last edited by yamaha50elh; 08-17-2010, 11:14 AM.

Sounds like the pilot jet/passages still have some plugging or you have not done the link and sync like the manual says.

you have what is called a lean sneeze at idle. may try to adjust the pilot mixture screws a little more to increase the amount of fuel/air mix at idle.

Comment

thanks for the reply.

but you said "you have not done the link and sync like the manual says "

I dont have a manual and dont know how the link and sync could someone exlpain the process?? but if you talking about adjusting the carbs to eachother then yes we have attemped to do it but no matter what we do the chirp is there.

the carbs have all been taken apart and cleaned fron inside out basicaly taken all apart cleaned, blown through , new gaskets so they like new.

we have attemped to adjust the needle's in and out but no matter where we put the needle the chirp comes back. I was maybe thinking out of timing?? does anyone know what the timing should be for this motor??

we have been working on this chirp thing for the last 2 days with no sucess please I could use some help determining this out

thanks in advance
      Last edited by yamaha50elh; 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM.

Comment

The reason people buy the Yamaha service/repair manual for their motor is that it will give a detailed description on how to do things on that motor and the specs.
        If you do not feel you want to do that then keep looking for someone that has the manual for that old specific motor and hope they will read your post and are willing to type all of the steps you are looking for.
        Sorry but that is just the way the world turns. I myself have never even seen that motor or its manual.

Comment

thanks for your help

Comment

ok so I did the link and sync like was said to do in the manual but I still have this darn chirp I thought it might be the reeds aswell but pulled them off and replaced them too. chirp still there... is this a common thing because I have googled the chirp and came up with a few video's of the same chirp problem.

see below video for what I mean chirpping.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5y-rSh4AO4

below video chirp starts about a minute into video
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgzFC...eature=related

this video does exactly what mine does chirps and dies.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKBzpvgwzf4

I really hope to be able to get some real help on this forum as to what it might be if not I might have to just rebuild the whole motor in the hopes I can fix it and I really dont want to have to do that.

this is what I have done so far

1) carbs inside and out all new gaskets too.
            2) link and synced like manual said to.
            3) checked the timing everything is good. ( manualy reset and checked )
            4) removed old reeds and replaced with new reeds and gaskets

if anyone has or had the same problem or has an idea as to what I could look for or do please PLEASE post it at this point I am willing to do just about anything to get rid of the chirpping noise.

thanks
            Last edited by yamaha50elh; 08-20-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Like I said before, sounds like a lean sneeze. Go through the carbs again, the idle or pilot jet/passages have a problem

Comment

ok so now I know what the chirping noise is in my motor and this will stop all other yamaha motors that have this type chirp too as well. the chirping noise that you hear in the video's and the chirping noise in my motor is NOT a lean sneeze and I underline the NOT. after trying to figure this out for more then a week and doing more then 80 hours in researching it on Google I decide to break the motor down. took the power head off the lower unit and stripped it down and to my surprise it's not the carbs or the reeds as 80% off all answers given stated on the noise. the chirping noise you hear is coming from the 2 bearings on top and on the bottom of the crank shaft. to solve your problems you will need a complete gasket set for your power head and 2 new bearings and of course some time to yourself to do the work.

man I tell you if only I had known this from the beginning it would have save many sleepless night and maybe my back from sitting on the computer for many hours.

thanks to all that tryed to help

and to those that are trying now to figure it out stop. break the motor down and replace the bearing the chirping noise WILL STOP.
                Last edited by yamaha50elh; 08-22-2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

chirping

OK guys my 2003 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke is chirping when the throttle is open and some times at idle.I have been reading you're post on this forum,and I'm stump t.My compression is 120psi even in all 3 cylinders,I pulled the carbs and blew them out with compressed air and rebuilt them ,I did the sync and link.Still I have a chirp in the motor and a loss of power at top end.It is not a compression problem it is a lean fuel mixture problem.I hope it is not the upper and lower main bearings even though the motor does not knock or make any engine noise other than the chirp.How ever the main bearing seals if they are leaking is it possible for the motor to run lean?Parts are cheap the labor in replacing main bearings and seals is a killer.I would hate to replace bearings and seals and not fix the problem.

Comment

Chirping/Lean Sneeze

Well, one man stated that after all efforts at solving the carb problem (dirty jets and/or not synched correctly) that he discovered it was his crankshaft main bearings! My motor chirped/sneezed and synchronizing the carbs alleviated the chirping for several months; so, common sense seems to indicate that it was not a bearing problem in my case, otherwise the chirping would not have gone away after the carbs were synched. I guess that now the carbs have got some more trash in them or are out of synch again. Any thoughts? Mine is still chirping.

Comment

chirping

I'm going out on a limb and replacing the upper and lower main seals and bearings and check valves located on the side of the block that have hoses connected to them.I replaced the carbs with brand new and a new fuel pump and lines,I replaced the fuel tank and primer bulb.The timing is dead on the carbs are in synk and still I have a lean sneeze.I checked the intake manifold for leaks none found.The only possible thing left to check is the upper and lower crankshaft seals.It is possible I think with the ethanol in the fuel today after a period of time can and will deteriorate the seals causing the motor to run lean at any RPM range.The parts are relatively cheap, it is just disassembling the power head is the last resort to correct this issue.It will take me about 3 hours to do the job and I will keep everyone posted on the results.I'm determined to correct this issue and help others who are having the same issue with this chirping lean sneeze.

Comment

Chirping lean sneez

I found the problem with my chirping,as some has claimed crank shaft seals and bearings, that is possible.In my case it was the intake manifold gaskets and carb o rings.While the motor was running in a barrel of water,I took a can of carb cleaner and sprayed around the intake manifold of all 3 carbs.to my surprise the motor wanted to die out as I was doing this.I stopped praying carb cleaner and my RPM's picked back up.I replaced the intake gaskets and carb o rings,the chirping lean sneeze is gone and the engine is running like a top.For those who experience this problem try that before you pull you're power head and replace seals and bearings.It may just save you a lot of work.

Comment

Working...
                        X