Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 HPDI Loosing Drive

2003 Yamaha 200 HPDI (210hrs)

I have a 200 HPDI which intermittently looses drive. The best way I can describe it is like depressing the clutch on car, Revs stay same but no forward momentum, this happens for aprox 3-5 seconds and then normal drive (forward momentum is resumed). No alarms sound or warnings on gauges. The engine does not misfire or run roughly.

Originally I thought it only happened when opening the throttle, however it now occurs at constant revs across the rev range. It is however intermittent and in my most recent experience dependant on sea state. I was in a force 3-4 with a 2-3 metre swell and it kept losing drive every 5 seconds at low revs. I upped the revs and it stabilised keeping forward momentum only occasionally loosing drive. I managed to get into the lea of an island and again tried it at low revs, it kept constant forward momentum at 10 knots, the same speed I was at while in the swell.

This issue has been ongoing for the last two years. I have had the problem diagnosed by my local Yamaha dealer as worn splines on the prop causing it to slip. I am now on my 2cd prop in 2yrs, the 1st replacement was diagnosed as faulty by the dealer. However the problem persists. There is currently a brand new stainless steel prop with less than 6hrs on it, I replaced the original aluminium prop with a stainless steel one on advice of the dealer.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mark a line across hub of prop and prop washer, run boat, if line is not in alignment then prop hub is slipping.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X