Synthetic 2 Cycle Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic 2 Cycle Oil

I have a 89 40 hp Yamaha outboard and was wondering about the synthetic 2 cycle oil. Is this o.k. to use if I've been using the regular type? Is it o.k. to alternate between the two or should I stick with one type? Any advantage to using the synthetic? Thanks.

jeff,
    If your outboard is a pre-mix, switching back and forth on brands is no problem. If it is oil injected, mixing of brands in the oil tank can cause gel/sludge to form - best to clean out oil tank of old brand before using new.
    As far as synthetic, as long as it is rated TCW-3, you're ok. My experience with synthetic/blends is that they burn a little cleaner.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It's oil injected so I guess I better stick with one type. What's the best way to clean the tank? Jeff

Comment

jeff,
        I would disconnect all lines and then remove the tank and drain. Add a little gas and slosh around and drain and let dry.
        When you add the new oil, I would run it asap long enough to clear out the oil line and injector pump of all of the old oil. I don't think
        TCW-3 is as bad as TCW-2 about forming a gel when different brands are mixed - but I am paranoid about mixing - I learned the hard way years ago on my offshore boat with twin 140 Suzukis after I had mixed brands of TCW-2. The motors shut down to darn near idle forty miles offshore and we had to crawl back to port. Pulled both oil resevoirs and there was gel in the bottom that restricted flow to the oil pump.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Good advice Ken. Thanks alot. Sounds like a project to do before this weekend. Safe boating to you.
          Jeff

Comment

I switched to Amsoil last fall. It is supposed to be compatible with other 2 cycle oils, although I don't see the point in switching back and forth unless in an emergency.

To reduce the amount I mixed I ran the reservoir (injected motor) as low as I could then added one quart of Amsoil. Then ran that down and added another quart of Amsoil. After that ran down I filled with Amsoil. Havent had any trouble. I have heard in the past that the 2 cycle oil can gel if it sits around too long, but never experience it when it (dino) sat for 2-3 years in my last boat. Not sure if that applies to synthetics or not.

Hope that is some help-

Comment

Working...
            X