Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 115 starting problems (manual choke)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 starting problems (manual choke)

I have a Yamaha 115 2 stroke, 2004 that I've owned for several years. I've never had an issue starting it or using it until recently. Let it sit too long and had to have the carbs cleaned. Shop did it and proclaimed it was fine.

After that was done I had trouble starting it. Brought it back to shop and he started it up in front of me without delay. I noticed that he pressed the throttle forward in neutral when he started it (I never did this before). I brought it home and it started once and then could not get it started again. I called him and he said he'd go over the starting procedure with me if I wanted.

So now I'm thinking dang, I need to read the manual. I had been starting it for several years but I was just doing what the dealer had shown me. It worked so I never changed it. After reading the manual I noticed there were two things I was doing that was different in the manual. One was to push the throttle forward in neutral which I had picked up from the mechanic. Secondly I was engaging the manual choke. The manual says do not engage the manual choke because that will cause the automatic choke not to function. So I tried it (did not engage manual choke) and it started right up. Do you think that was the difference? What is the manual choke supposed to be used for?

Manual choke....

The manual choke is just a backup in case the automatic (electric) choke malfunctions or you are starting with a weak battery. Normal procedure would be to use the electric choke function and advance the throttle (in neutral) a quarter inch or so to get a cold motor started. A warm motor should not need anything to start.

- Mike

Comment

Working...
    X