90 hp 2 stoke ? On removel lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 hp 2 stoke ? On removel lower unit

I have a 2003 yam: 90 HP 2 stoke I would say it seem it may be time to change the water pump.Iwas out the other day the water was very warm temperatures around 90 plus.I did see my temp: head gauge rise a little to 130 degrees when I stop the motor to drift for some summer flounder.I started it up and after a couple of second the reading was normal 115 degrees head temp;
    I got in and always flush the unit with hose water and the ears in place.I NEVER NEVER start the engine no matter what unless water is hook up to the lower unit.I did notice the stream of water coming from the peep hole was cold not a bad stream but you can see it without any problems.I run the engine for about 5 min: to flush any salt water from the impeller and water pump housing.I was surprise after I shut the engine down and shut the water off at the hose the water was still coming out of the peep hole but it was warm when the engine was running with the ears and cold water running the Peep hole water was cold.I went threw the repair manual to change the lower unit and install the new impeller but to my surprise it doesn't mention anywhere to dis-connect the shift rod.I will set the helm handle in N I know the hose for the speedometer cable needs to be removed but no were it states to dis-connect the shift link age .I wonder an I missing something or were it the coupling to disconnect the shift rod?

Not absolutely sure on the 90 but my 40 has splined linkage that just slides apart without undoing any connector

Comment

The shift shaft is splined, you don't have to disconnect anything on shift shaft to remove.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for the reply I have change water pump before and always need to drop the linkage rod.I must of read the repair manual on the yam: a few times I thought I was missing something.
        I read the 25 h.p. need the nut jam to be loosen but nothing on the 90 hp. thank you guys again

Comment

Working...
        X