hpdi torque question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hpdi torque question

Can anyone help me I have a question about the torque spec. on my 2004 150HP HPDI. The connecting rods torque spec. reads
    1st 19NM
    2nd 37NM
    3rd * (loosen)
    4th 19NM
    5th 37NM

I get the two step tightening but what is loosen and then 4th and 5th.

Thanks
    John

It's a stretch torque to actually stretch the bolts. You torque to specs, loosen bolts and re-torque to specs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, I have done angular and measured. This one is new and I would not have gone for the loosen, so thanks.

John

Comment

Do you follow that procedure even if you using the old rods/caps & bolts

A Question.

Any body ever had the bearing cap split (aftermarket rod) whist going to
        from 19 - 37 NM. I bought a new rod and it split along the bolt whilst taking it to 37 NM.

Rgds

Rob
        Last edited by Rob Welman; 01-07-2011, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Welman View Post
          Do you follow that procedure even if you using the old rods/caps & bolts

A Question.

Any body ever had the bearing cap split (aftermarket rod) whist going to
          from 19 - 37 NM. I bought a new rod and it split along the bolt whilst taking it to 37 NM.

Rgds

Rob
          Should always use new rod bolts.
          No haven't had any rod caps break, make sure it's correct rod, rod bearings and rod caps are assembled correctly. Hand tighten rod bolt rods and recheck rod cap alignment before torquing down bolts.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X