Impeller replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeller replacement

I am going to replace the impeller on my 1998 250 hp Salt Water Series. How does the shifting rod connect/disconnect? Any tricks or problems getting everything alligned when putting back together?

It's a splined shaft it seperate when the lower unit is dropped down.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Blizzard,
      Before you drop the lower unit, put the remote control in neutral. Right before you stab the lower unit for install, make sure the lower unit is still in neutral by turning the prop shaft - if the drive shaft turns, then the lower unit is in gear. Put a rag over the shift rod of the lower unit (to prevent scarring) and turn gently with a pair of pliers, cw or ccw, until you can turn the prop shaft w/o the drive shaft turning. The lower unit has a way of getting into gear by itself when it is off the outboard - mine did it just recently - and you can't go that last 1/2 inch of travel when stabbing.
      Be sure and use a good quality thread sealer like Permatex 14A on the water pump bolts and lower unit bolts. Also, apply a thin film of marine grease to the impeller and the splines of the drive shaft and shift rod. Follow the torque specs of the shop manual.
      Also, it is best to have someone to help you align everything when you stab the lower unit. Thread the speedo tube first thru the upper housing, then have your helper down at eye level align the shift rod and water pump tube.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Comment

Working...
        X