New F20PLR load squeaking at 2200-2400rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New F20PLR load squeaking at 2200-2400rpm

Sorry should be loud squeaking, Been breaking in my new F20PLR on the boat for the last 2 weekends and it has a loud squeaking noise at 2200-2400rpm only. Really quite loud, no noises at any other rpm. Had to tow a pontoon boat back to dock since their Honda wasn't spittin any water and I was right in this rpm range and it was so noisy that they asked if towing them was hurting my motor because of the squeaking. It's under warranty but the dealer is 2 1/2 hour ride away. Just wondering if anyone here has ran into this and what it was. I searched and found people talking about squeaky belts and another that mentioned a driveshaft seal but these were on bigger motors. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by tryn2lrn; 08-06-2010, 08:49 PM. Reason: misspell in title

It is not a good idea to load a motor like that while breaking it in and probably not good even after break in. The motor should be propped for the boat and load it is running and overloading it will hurt it.

Comment

I have changed the prop and I actually went too far the other way now, can bounce into the 6200rpm rev limit if I am not careful. Have another prop on order that should get me where I need to be at the 5500rpm recommended operating point. Any comments on the squeaking??? It has done it since I first started the engine. Checked the lower fluid and the oil all is good, only does it in gear, not in neutral.

Comment

Working...
      X