Where's the progress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the progress?

My 2002 T9.9 Yamaha is nothing but grief. Despite Herculean efforts with filters and gas stabilizers, it refuses to run. The carb is so complicated, my degree in mechanical engineering doesn't help me fix it.

Back in the 70's, I owned a British Seagul 2 stroke 7.5 hp pusher on our sailboat. That engine took is down the Mississippi from Illinois, several seasons in the Bahamas and Florida, and cruises to Jamaica and the Mediterranean (boat was shipped across the ocean twice). It had a few breakdowns, mostly in the lower unit due to hitting debris in the water. I was able to fix everything myself. It was a simple and reliable engine. Enter the Yamaha. Sure it is quieter, no need to mix oil in the gas, more power but it breaks down at the most inconvenient times. Luckily, I have a sail to move the boat or I would have found myself atop a rocky breakwater. Both Yamaha dealers near my boat are booked up for weeks in advance. There goes the sailing season. Yamaha is refusing to really solve this problem. Well, I guess that is progress.

Sherwin while a lament your problem i think the epa has a hand in this.
    carby is not that complicated what is wrong, should be able to clean it out and on your way

sorry to hear that you are going to miss a season can,t you find another pusher from some one a loaner ?

Comment

My limited experience with taking the carb apart is that there are a few loose parts that fall out easily. Also, looking at the parts diagram, there are several components to this carb that one could easily screw up. A detailed manual might help, but I'm not paying Yamaha 80 bucks for a factory one, and the aftermarket one looks skimpy. If nothing works, I will
      try removing the carb and taking it to the nearest Yamaha dealer and wait
      several weeks until they can get to it.

As far as a replacement kicker, I only have one mounting bracket on the boat to which the T9.9 is bolted to the lifter device. With the boat in the slip, it is next to impossible to get it off, at least for me. I just say a prayer every time I remove the carb that I won't drop some part into the water as I lean out over the transom.

Comment

i really dont think it gets any easier and simpler than a tiller motor....

Comment

Working...
        X