96 Yam 115 voltages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Yam 115 voltages

Does any one know what the output voltages are from the stator, and the coil pulser? The yam book only has resistance checks, and they all look good, but my engine is still acting up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

The model nember is C115TXRU.

Comment

Jeff,
      You say your outboard is "acting up" - could you be a little more specific and describe the symptoms?
      Ken K

Comment

I posted the original problem about a week or so ago. My CDI burned out, and I replaced it from Boats.net, it's running, but now I have cylinders dropping out while it's idling. It goes in and out. I can hear it sparking when I pull the wires off "with HV gloves", but it's not changing the idle. If I pull the other wires, it almost dies. I ohm'd out everything, and it all checked good except the rectifier. The top two posts were reading a dead short. Those are the posts that the two stator wires are hook to. The stator looks great on the ohm check, and the trigger/pulser ohm'd good. I ordered a rectifier from Boats.net, but I don't want to install it and burn it out. I'd like to check the voltages from the stator and pulser while it's running before I install the rectifier and burn it up. The Yamaha book doesn't have a running check that I can find. My parts should be here any day, so I'd like to check it all before that. If it ohm's out good, is it 100% good? I'm in the hole $350 for the CDI, and $200 for the rectifier and misc. parts, and I'd rather not buy more if I don't need to. Any help would be great. Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Jeff,
          I went back to your original post, and if I am reading you correctly now, you can pull the port side spark plug wires at idle and hear "ticking of the spark" but that does not change the rough idle; yet, when you pull the starboard wires, the motor dies. That tells me you probably have a fuel problem and not an ignition problem.
          Try doing a shock treatment with Seafoam to clean out the carbs and de-carbonize the motor. You need to do this once a year anyway, and you might just fix your rough idle problem.
          Good luck,
          Ken K

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that. It's just odd to me that it only started to do it after I had the CDI problem. The rectifier ohm'd bad, so I'll still change that. I hope it's a fuel problem, and not a stator or pulser problem. I'll try it tonight, and I'll post the out come. Thanks for the help.
            Jeff

Comment

I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump.

Comment

After getting the engine running, the stator voltages are odd. There is 36 volts on the top wire, and around 14 volts on the other 3. When the engine starts idling funny, the voltage on the first wire goes crazy. The ohm check of the stator is fine, but I think it shorts out while running. Does anyone know what the voltages are supposed to be? The Yamaha book doesn't say. Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X