Sterndrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterndrive

Are there any other Yamaha sterndrive owners out there???
    Bill

I have a 92 4.3 yamaha sterndrive in my 2000SL chapparal and I've had minor problems with it, so far I've had good luck finding used parts for it, such as new&used trim hoses. There's a yamaha dealership that will service my boat It's called Wonderland Marine in Howeell MI. It's state of the art facility and they have a great parts department

Comment

Hello, Just last week I sold my 92 5.7L Yamaha sterndrive. Other than a minor problem with sticky shifting, it was virtually trouble free the entire time I owned it, not sure why Yamaha quit making these things, they weremuch more reliable than OMC or Volvo products.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys....I have a Yamaha 5.7...and so far have been able to come up with all the parts I have needed...I agree, its a fantastic unit...Do any of you out there know of any good places for info on these drives...I know boats.net is a good place..but was wondering if there are any other places out there..

Comment

We were all suckers! The dealers knew that these were last runs when the boats were sold. Now the word is out, so resale is not easy. I often find myself arguing with parts dealers that I'm not crazy...Yamaha does (did) make an I/O. I have changed my manifolds to another brand. I'm a real pro now at removing the outdrive to unfreeze the shift linkage. The stering arm of the out drive wore down. That was a nightmare. I had to remove the engine and gimble to have ir removed and remachined. Right now I am dealing with shift linkage adjustment. If I set it for forward then it stalls in reverse and vice versa. I have the shop manual that provides specific instructions for measuriong one of the cables, but the diagram is all wrong. Must be for a different year. I also need a universal joint.

Comment

Bill, I feel your pain. I just bought a Renken 260 with the Yamaha outdrive (5.7 V-8). I'm having the same problem with the steering as Sonny did. I'm trying to drill and tap the lever for a setscew through the trim swith hole. I don't want to take the whole unit off the boat.
            I read of a former dealer in Florida who replaces these units with Mercruisers, but I don't know the details. I live in Virginia anyway. I hope to get this season out of it, then change it out.
            Good Luck!!

Comment

I just purchased a Celebrity 180 CX this past spring. It has a Yammy 4.3 sterndrive in it. It runs great--only problem is that when it is in "trimmed up" position, water leaks into the engine compartment. I thought it could be the exhaust boot(bellows)--it seemd to be a little dry rotted. If anyone has a good parts outlet for these drives, please let me know.

Comment

The boot bellows is of high quality and probably is not the problem. Take a good look at the inner mount of the bellows where the hose clam squeezes the bellows against the drive unit. At the very bottom edge there might be a pin hole and additional corrison. Mix up some plastic steel and shape itinto place. The leaks occurs when the outdrive is in the up position due to the stretching of the bellows in an upward direction.

I replaced the the main bearing since the salt water got in there. THat was a real mistake. Now I have a weird sounding noise without any vibration. We thought it might have been Engine alignment but no. I'm going to try another bearing.

I found a site under "Yamaha Europe". It appears that some one is still making the out drives for the European market. However, the engines are diesel. Check it out. Makes me feel really mad.

Comment

I've got a '91 5.7L that needs replacement manifolds. Anyone have advice on converting to a more available substitute?

Comment

You can replace the Exhaust Manifolds with the Osco Manifolds for V-8. I can't remember the angel for the riser to match up with the Y pipe. I just know that I ordered the wrong one and ended up having the Y pipe altered. I had the main bearing replaced (Thanks Morales). However, now the OD just doesn't sound right. I keep using the boat and really only I notice the noise. The bearing was a match but not original. Any takers?

Comment

I have a 7.3 litre 21' VIP with the Yamaha outdrive. The outdrive works fine. Parts seem to be a nightmare. In the three years I have owned it it has been in the shop twice. Both times it was in at least three months to repair due to finding parts. First time was Trim cylinders. The second was a simple water pump replacement. I hate to go to the expense of putting a mercruiser outdrive on when this one is still good. Good luck with yours.

Comment

I have yamaha sterndrive and outboard repair manuals[brand new clymers] i like them as they are impartial unlike factory manuals. email geebeegee_10@hotmail.com

Comment

Yamaha Sterndrive owners google group

I created a google group for Yamaha Sterndrive owners. If you own one or know how to repair them, please join our group.

http://groups.google.com/group/yamaha-sterndrives

Comment

Working...
                          X