Steering linkage question -70ETKL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering linkage question -70ETKL

One more question on my dog of an engine, if I may. the steering is also frozen. When I disconnect the steering cable from the starboard side of the engine, the helm turn fine and the cable itself moves in and out freely. the chrome piece the cable attaches to on the engine also moves in and out ok. On the port side, the chrome part does not move at all and when i reconnect the cable it will not turn.

i have banged the port side with a ball peen hammer a few times but no improvement. What is my problem and what do i need to buy to fix it? the engine itself moves freely on the transom mount, it's only when it's hooked up that it freezes....

Just a thought - on the port engine disconnect the piece that connects the end of the cable to the motor - turn the helm and see if the cable moves. It could be that that peice is bent Also try turning the helm while someone pushes on the engine - there might be small crud built up. Don't force the helm though, the gears can be stripped fairly easily.

Comment

Working...
    X