1994 90 Oil sensor wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 90 Oil sensor wiring

I have a 90 with 703? control that didn't have any guages when I got it. I just aquired a tach from a 70 of the same general vintage and got some wiring with it. I plugged up everything that matched and the tach seems to work on 12 but not sure about the oil. In the engine there is a blue sheathed cable coming from the oil tank. It has one pink, and two green wires (one with a stripe). The pink is connected to the engine harness but the two greens are just hanging. There does not seem to be anything appropriate to hook them to. If you touch them together the side control buzzer sounds and a triangle appears above the oil thingy on the guage. Also the temp? overheat? indicator on the left bottom of the display has a pale reddish pink square above it all the time. Don't know what that means either. In the new wiring that comes from the engine up to the controls there is a grey wire that also seems to have no mate at the control end. There are two square connectors, one has a mate but the other does not. Not buying a manual for this since I'm trying to get this running well enough to sell. Any help? Thanks

In 1990 the temp light was in the speedometer not in the tach and there was a grey wire that connected to speedo for temp light and you may have to connect that grey wire to tach harness to make temp light to work. It's hard to say without looking at it not knowing what gauge ( the year, analog or multifuction tach) or wire harness.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

It's the standard Yamaha digital tach with the two digit display and the trim bar graph going down the right side of the display. There are no buttons and the bottom of the number display has (from left to right): Red box with empty circle in it, Yellow box with oil can, Green box with full circle. The motor ran great the last time I had it in the water but it sat for almost two years then I started it up in the driveway with the two year old gas. I ran for almost an hour, smoked a lot but ran fairly smoothly. A week later no start, not even a stumble. So I went after the fuel system. Broke fuel pump nipple off so it has a new pump, new fuel/water separator (off engine), cleaned engine filter. Pumped new fuel though each part of system until it ran clean, then hooked next part up till I got to the carbs and let the bowl drains run till clean. Old plugs were black with oil. Sprayed out cylinders and carbs with carb cleaner and put a half teaspoon of motor oil in cylinders before new plugs went in. Started immediately and seemed to run great. Hooked up the tach and all and the triangle above the oil can is on all the time. The onboard tank has oil and the motor smokes blue so I'm assuming the engine's getting oil. There is no remote tank. Put the boat in the water and it ran OK at the dock, idled out of the basin and started to accelerate but RPM's top out at just around 2K even at the firewall. The engine does not seem to be laboring but just doesn't go any faster. Last time I ran it, I had no trouble rapping the engine out with three people on board. Could my addition of the guage or an ommission in the harness plugging cause the computer to hold the rpm's down? When I shorted the two green wires from the onboard oil tank together and caused the alarm buzzer to go off did I fry something?

Comment

Found out why the oil indicator is on. Talked to the Yamaha shop and I'm missing an entire cable from the motor to the guage. He says my most likely cause of the not running over 2K is need to clean the carbs after two years of sitting. If that don't work then go after oil and temp sensors or wiring. He said if I'm hitting the 2K limiting the engine does it by messing with the timing and the engine runs real rough when it hits that. Mine is smooth but sounds kind of hollow, and when you bring it back to idle it sputters and dies usually but restarts immediately.

Comment

Working...
        X