f40tlrx Water cup fell off while flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f40tlrx Water cup fell off while flushing

I was flushing out salt water in my Yamaha 40 1999 and walked away to put other stuff away and water cup fell off. When I got back warning buzzer was going off and motor was still running. I was also running fuel out of carbs at same time to keep gas from going bad in carbs. I shut motor down right away and rehooked fuel line and water cups and restarted motor which cranked right up but noticed no water coming out of overflow. I shut down and checked oil. It was way overfull so obviously water was going into crankcase. oil was not milky or anything like that so I drained it right away and put fresh oil in. Let it cool, although it externally didn't show sign of getting very hot. I let it cool and started it briefly , ran great, but no water flow out the overflow. This has been a great motor. Any ideas as to where the water is getting thru to the crankcase? Work on my own cars and equipment but haven't tackled an outboard yet but certainly willing to. Thanks Rich

r u referring to the overflow as the tell tale? im pretty sure u fried ur waterpump if the alarm was going off. that probably means the muffs were off for a while. pull off the lower unit and replace impeller.

Comment

May have fried your water pump impeller, better drop lower unit and inspect/replace water pump impeller. If impeller came apart in pieces, then retrieve them from cooling passages. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by itsmeagain5789 View Post
        r u referring to the overflow as the tell tale? im pretty sure u fried ur waterpump if the alarm was going off. that probably means the muffs were off for a while. pull off the lower unit and replace impeller.
        Just curious but is there a seal between the water pump and the engine oil. The water is in the crankcase oil. I'm not sure I clarified that. Thanks Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richrigert View Post
          Just curious but is there a seal between the water pump and the engine oil. The water is in the crankcase oil. I'm not sure I clarified that. Thanks Rich
          To be honest I have no idea. I have only owned two strokes, i would say that water in your oil is probably not normal, but im pretty sure the engine would have shut off before significant damage was done. either way, definitely replace that impeller. same thing happened to me and i was away for less than a minute. i pulled off the lower unit and my impeller was in pieces.

Comment

Proberly nothing serious happend.Change impeller to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by itsmeagain5789 View Post
              To be honest I have no idea. I have only owned two strokes, i would say that water in your oil is probably not normal, but im pretty sure the engine would have shut off before significant damage was done. either way, definitely replace that impeller. same thing happened to me and i was away for less than a minute. i pulled off the lower unit and my impeller was in pieces.
              appreciate the help. Thanks Rich

Comment

Originally posted by arny View Post
                Proberly nothing serious happend.Change impeller to be on the safe side.
                Will be doing. Got part numbers from tech support. Thanks again

Comment

Something has to be broke to put water in the oil. water pump will not fix that

Comment

water pump does not mix with motor oil

I agree it is not the water pump although I changed it while I had the lower end apart. I'm thinking it's a seal between water jacket and block (though don't know where it would be or even if there is one) or I may have a blown head gasket but not sure if water can get from water jacket to oil chamber. Head gasket would probably put water in cylinder but not in crankcase. Just guessing though cause I'm not sure exactly how motor is made. Not wanting to even think it but other place for water to get to oil is a cracked block or head. Motor really did not get all that hot. There was no smell or steam coming from motor. The motor still runs very well so probably head gasket is not blown to cylinder. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks Rich

Comment

Kinda stumped on this. Any suggestions? Considering pulling head to check head gasket but this motor has never been apart and would like to keep it that way if I don't need to pull apart. Thanks Rich

Comment

Working...
                      X