225 No power under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225 No power under load

My 225 has been sitting for a very long time (over 2 years).. I've drained all the fuel and changed the gear oil in the LU, new water pump, thermostats, head gaskets, head cover gaskets, water pump, plunger & spring..

It starts and idles fine but will does not run well (under 2K RPM's) under load. Does not idle smooth in the water either. Thinking it's maybe a fuel delivery issue.. All fuel filters were changed too. How can you check a fuel pump? I have a fuel pressure guage.. Are they hard to rebuild or just replace? What about the carbs?

Thanks,
    F

year of motor to determine fuel system. probably fuel delivery, to check fuel pumps, you can visually inspect the diaphrams or my way,you can blow easily one way thru but none the other...if there is any bleedby the diaphram wont holdout the crankcase pressure. if its carbed, definately clean them, as thats first and foremost.

Comment

Sorry I did not post the year... It's a 93 225 TXRR.. As for cleaning the carb's, do I remove them or can you use carb cleaner spray while running it?

Thanks,
      Fred

Comment

I would never spray anythin in my motors..tear down the carbs as far as YOU possibly can , soak parts overnight if possible, blow cleaner thru all orifices and replace any worn parts.

Comment

Thanks JB, I've never torn into a OB carb... done plenty of holley's in my younger days. Any words of wisdome before I start?

Do I need to get rebuild kits?

Comment

FishFinder,
            Considering how old your outboard is, if you are going to pull the carbs for an overhaul, you better get carb kits - get yourself a Yamaha shop manual for your particular model.
            You might try a shock treatment with Seafoam to clean out the carbs and de-carbonize the motor. You need to do this once a year anyway on a 2-stroke, and you might get lucky and fix the carb problem.
            Good luck,
            Ken K

Comment

Working...
            X