25hp 2 stroke exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25hp 2 stroke exhaust

After every use, a black runny oil drips from the base of the prop. Just the other day, a light brown pasty oil was dripping from the base. I guess that may have been sand mixed in from running in shallow water?? Also, have noticed a little bit of black exhause type oil oozing from the crack where the lower unit bolts to the upper part of the engine. Is all of this normal for a new engine with only around 20 hours? Thanks, just being cautious.

cb,
    It is normal to have black oil residue coming out of the prop exhaust area on a 2-stroke - but "light brown pasty oil" has me concerned. Check the lower unit oil for water intrusion by slowly backing out on the bottom plug and allowing just a little oil to run out. If it is clear, then ok. If it is milky brown, then water has gotten in to the lower unit, probably by way of seal in front of prop.
    Since you have only 20 hrs on the motor, the light brown oil could be just extra grease that was applied to the prop shaft at the dealership.
    I would not be too concerned about a little exhaust oil seeping thru the crack where the lower unit bolts to the upper casing - just check the lower unit bolts to make sure they are tight.
    The first time you do a water pump repair, check to see that there is an exhaust muffler gasket at the bottom of the muffler - my C115 came from the factory without one.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the reply...

Comment

Working...
      X