How do I replace the impellar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I replace the impellar?

I have a 2001 Yamaha 90hp and I want to replace the water pump impellar. I took off the 4 main bolts and the one under the black clip. The lower unit wont drop. What am I missing?

keysbound,
    I don't know what you mean by "the black clip", but there should also be a bolt under the trim tab - remove the prop and trim tab - there should be a lower unit bolt there.
    You really should get a Yamaha shop manual to guide you along with a water pump repair - follow the torque specs and be sure to use a good quality thread sealer (I use Permatex 14A Thread Sealer with Teflon) where indicated.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Just like Ken stated, there is one under the trim tab. The Bolt under the black clip is the one that unbolts the trim tab to the lower unit. Look under the trim tab once it's off and you will see another bolt.

Comment

I just did mine yesterday. It isnt that bad, just try not to mess with the small "shifter" shaft behind the drive shaft. Took me a day to figure out why my boat was in gear when the gear shifter was in nuetral.

Comment

saltrookie,
          Good point - next time you do a water pump repair, just check the lower unit to see if it is in gear before you stab it.
          Of course, before you drop the lower unit, put the remote gear shift in neutral. Just before you reinstall the lower unit, grab the prop shaft and turn it - if the drive shaft turns, then the lower unit is in gear. Just put a rag over the shift rod of the lower unit (to prevent scarring) and turn it with a pair of pliers a little in either/both directions until you can turn the prop shaft w/o the drive shaft turning. I just recently did my water pump, and I was very careful not to touch the shift shaft of the lower unit, and be darned, the sucker somehow was in gear when I tried to reinstall - could not go that last half inch of travel.
          Good luck,
          Ken K

Comment

Ken, Have any clue if you should put thread sealer on any other bolts besides the water pump bolts? What about the lower unit bolts. (I do not have a manual)

Comment

saltrookie,
              You definitely want to use thread sealer on the lower unit bolts in addition to the water pump bolts. I also like to use sealer on the trim tab bolt.
              If you ever want to graduate from being a "saltrookie" to a "saltveteran", get yourself a Yamaha shop manual for your particular outboard - it will pay for itself many times over. Go to www.yamahapubs.com to order and they will deliver to your door.
              Good luck,
              Ken K

Comment

Working...
              X