More power tilt problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More power tilt problems?

Yamaha model 70ETLH. I just bought this boat and have used it all summer with no problems. Went to check everythink out before going fishing yesterday and the battery was dead. It is a brand new interstate battery so I tried to exchange it and was told there wasn't a problem with it, just neds charging. Once charged, I went to hook the cables back up to the battery and there was a ton of sparks as if there was a major short somewhere. We hooked them up and tried to start the motor but it wouldn't crank and the power tilt wouldn't work either. Suddenly I smelled something burning so we unhooked the battery and it wasn't long before I found (ouch) where the smell was coming from. The tilt motor was soo hot that you could not touch it. It has alway sounded terrible when raising and lowering the motor. I took a jumper wire and ran it to the red wire going to the tilt switch on the motor and all I get is a clicking sound coming from the bottom of the engine cover. This clicking sound only occurs when you try and raise the motor. Nothing happends when you try to lower it. Is it possible that the motor is shorted out, causing the battery to die in a short period of time? Or could it be a relay or other electrical componenet. I'm no mechanic but can figure most stuff out if I serch hard enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bigtime

There is defiantly some problems with the wiring and possibly other components.
    The tilt motor should not be trying to run without a switch being closed telling it to. So you need to try to figure out why that is happening and then find out why the motor is not turning if there is power to it. Could be a bad relay or wiring and a bad motor , but who knows until you start looking

Comment

Working...
    X