Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4HP troubles

Need help ASAP the fish are biting!!!!!
    4 hp Yamaha outboard, ran great last year. It seems to be running out of gas. Starts ok, runs at idle for 10 minutes or 5 minutes at speed ... then just stumbles/fades/dies! Replaced plug, rebuilt carb (found nothing wrong with either?). Checked fuel flow from tank to carb ok. I will not restart unless I wait for 30+ minutes. Then the same thing?
    What next?
    What is a reed valve? (I'm still learning)
    Thanks guys, any & all help appreciated!

GTB,
    Sure sounds like it could be that the fuel tank is not venting properly - don't know what kind of vent is built into that tank, but check it. Also, when the motor dies, you need to find out if the carb is out of fuel. This would tell you if the problem is fuel and not spark.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned that the vent is open (even removed the cap to be sure). Removed the tank, cleaned it, new fuel. Found nothing wrong with the tank or fuel. Nearly positive it's running out of fuel (not electrical).
      Thanks

Comment

GTB,
        I am assuming that the built-in tank gravity feeds the carb on that little 4 hp. I would suspect the float cut-off valve may be sticking and not allowing fuel to flow properly into the carb bowl. Even though you took the carb apart and cleaned, I would check the needle and seat of the float, and the float istelf to make sure it is not hanging up on the inside of the bowl.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X