Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Problem 2003 f60 4-stroke

Hi guys,

I have an above 2003 model 60 hp 4 stroke carb motor that has only done 50 hours. During this time there has been one consistent intermittent fault.

Occasionly when starting this outboard by turning the key the starter motor squeals but fails to turn over outboard. If i keep the key on it makes no noise after the initial squeal.

I turn the key off and turn back on again and the starter motor squeals and turns over the engine. The engine starts perfectly. If i keep the key on the starter will keep squealing as normal.

Any thoughts??? such as a dodgy solenoid.

Regards

Kellaig

It sounds like the starter bendix or upper bearing in starter needs to be greased.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Kellaig,
      The starter is made up of two basic components - the starter motor and the "bendix", which is the pinion gear and spring. You need to observe the starter "in action" to see if the pinion gear is engaging the flywheel when you hear the "squeal".
      The most common cause of the pinion not engaging the flywheel is poor connection of the cables that come from the starting battery. Check the battery connections. The battery cables go to the starter relay (12 volt) and ground, which is usually a direct connection on the starter housing. Check these connections. Also, check the cable connection from the relay to the starter. A weak battery could also cause the starter to not spin fast enough to make the pinion engage the flywheel.
      You could remove the battery and place it close to the outboard and jumper directly to the starter to see if the pinion engages every time. (Be very careful doing this because of sparks and keep your body parts away from the pinion gear and flywheel.) This would eliminate possible bad cable connections and relay. The squeal that you are hearing could be a bad bearing in the starter, or it could be the pinion rubbing up against the flywheel - most likely is a bearing.
      Is your motor still under warranty?
      You could remove the starter and then the pinion gear and check the return spring to see if maybe there is rust/corrosion between the pinion and the starter shaft. Get a Yamaha shop manual if you want to do this yourself. Go to www.yamahapubs.com to order and they will deliver to your door.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X