• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f60AET carbs fuel flooding

please help

hi all
    im realy getting beat by my engine.
    few weeks ago i primed the fuel like normal for first start and flood the engine to the extent it locked up.
    i took plugs out , drained it ,poppedd plugs back and manged to get it running, but very rough and it was leaking fuel from the carbs.
    i took the carbs off, replaced the needle valves and floats. refitted it and it still does the same. i then re-checked every think i done and all was ok
    next i tested the prime start plungers which worked fine. i refitted the carbs again and its still doing the same...ie running rough and flooding/leaking fuel from all carbs. its made worse once the engine warms up.

but 1 thing iv just thought of while typing this is how it is the power to the prime start plungers controled?????
    is it permently powered while the engine it running ?????

any one have any ideas???

cheers john( a man going mad..lol)

please explain what you mean by" flooding/leaking fuel from all carbs".
    Where is the fuel coming out of

Comment

hi 99yam40
      its leaking from the small hole at the top of each carb on the air filter side, i think its a over flow if its the same as my old mercury was .
      also when using the primer bulb the fuel is passing though the carbs in to the cylinders and compleatly flooding them so the starter can not turn the engine over
      cheers john

Comment

today iv got every think off again, iv
        set it up on my bench and primed the fuel upas hard as i can with the priming bulb. No leaks on the out side but when i look in side fuel is running out of the jet.
        This is how fuel is filling up the cylinders. but how do i stop this?????

I also measured the voltage with the key turned on for the prime start, it showed 3.4 volts, is that correct?????

I just dont know what to try next

Comment

Your floats should push the needles into the seats closing off the fuel flow to the carbs when the proper level is obtained in the float bowls of the carbs. You are having a problem with the float settings, floats sticking, bad needle and seats, or trash in the seats keeping them from cutting off the flow.

The prime start heater gets its voltage from the motor running not from the key. Should be 12 v from the regulator/ alternator only while running.

The holes on the top of the carbs are vents and fuel should not come out of them during proper operation of the needle and seats. Fuel should not come out of the carbs anywhere during priming, air flow through the carbs should pull fuel out

Comment

thanks for your help 99yam40.
            based on what you said i went for a ultasonic clean at a near by motorbike shop and yet another new needle for the troublesome carb. hay presto.
            it started straightaway and after a carb balance it now runs better than ever.
            even manged to get out bass fishing for couple of hours yesterday after i got it all sorted.
            many thanks john

Comment

Working...
            X