Took a chance on 6MHSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took a chance on 6MHSR

New to forum-pretty much new to outboards. Probably won't be of much help...but need help. Purchased (sight unseen) a 1993 6hp '6MSHR' outboard for my old grumman freighter. I don't have much experience other than old trucks and tractors. Info from seller: " inherited it. Stored inside for 5 years. Started in a barrel. Ran. Put on 14' jonboat, ran 2-300 ft. and died. Re-started (5-6 pulls). 2-300 ft. and died again. (I'm guessing he repeated this 4-5 times) He noticed it wasn't 'peeing' very well at all out the top and took it home. This was last year. Been sitting ever since.

My hopes and repair PLAN : Flush tank, hose etc. (maybe check BULB?), try to blow thru/flush carb (stuck needle valve?), blow out upper water line/passages? BUY 'Impeller Repair Kit', change lower unit lube (and check for milk and shavings) and BUY 'Carb Kit'. and of course a Repair Manual (Seloc??)I found this forum while searching for parts and thought I'd throw it all out there. I gave $200 so hopefully for another 100 I'll have something. Thinking about a barrel and spare spark plug and at least hear it run a few seconds before buying parts. WILL THIS HURT ? I have no compression guage, but going on his word. He said it had power enough, but just starved out. I'm hoping it was fuel, and not overheating. Hoping the coil unit is good....it started and ran and guessing 200 ft. wouldn't heat to affect that.
    This is pre-mature and maybe a question I shouldn't ask, but...when I order a carb kit....I noticed that practically EVERY part interchange with the 8MSHR. Intake, reeds, ......ALL EXCEPT 'needle and/or jet'. (Oh, and does a float come with that carb kit?) It looked like the jet/needle would rod it up to an 8hp. (Maybe the float/carb adjustment settings?) I know if it just runs as a 6, I'll be happy, but I couldn't help noticing......EVERY part except needle.

TOOLS? Will I need any 'outboard specific' tools to do impeller and carb kit? I know I'm asking alot out of the gate. Being a 'do-it-yourselfer' has burned me a time or two in the past, and I'm always trying to save a dime.....but any help is appreciated! oth (overthehill)
    Last edited by overthehill; 07-12-2010, 02:20 AM.

Gear lube?

What gear lube should I use for lower unit on the 6MSHR 1993 outboard? About how much will it take? Thanks, oth

Comment

Fuel line/bulb

Picked up motor today. Started 2nd pull. I shut it off after 5 seconds. When the seller unhooked the fuel line, he had to catch the ball bearing and spring at each end. The grommets/retainers were missing. I know I need a new one. But would this have been his problem when he said it ran 200 ft. and died?? Or should I be looking at fuel pump diaphram? When I order carb kit, will diaphram be in it? Float? 6MSHR

Comment

Sorry, can not answer most of your questions but will give some advice about motors in general.
        Get the manual and read up on your motor. It will answer most of what you are needing.

The bad fuel line can cause air to get into system and possibly die.
        Water pump would be a good idea to replace as old as it is.

Carb may or maynot need a kit. Take it completely apart and clean with carb cleaner and compressed air. If you find a problem with some part or gaskets then get what you need.

Pull and test thermostat or replace

Comment

took a chance on 6MHSR

Thanks. And found answer to one of my questions....6 to 8....takes 2 parts or a ream. Will wait 'til I HAVE to tear it down. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X