Starting engine out of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting engine out of water

I have a 2005 F150, Since I don't live near where I use it, I would like to make sure that the motor starts before leaving on a trip. I understand that the motor needs water before starting. My question is can I run it with water hooked up to flushing fitting or do I need to use clamp on "ears". Any help would be appreciated

Cups or ears are best. Typically, the flush plug will put water in the top of the motor, but not on the impeller, which can be chewed up pretty quickly when run dry. This is what I have always done.

Comment

groovius is on the money but make sure that you have plenty of water pressure other wise you will have the same problem

Comment

You must run lots a water through the muffs also when you run the motor make sure the cover is off so you can touch the heads near the top and make sure they are hot before you stop the motor , I always run my 115 for at least 15 minutes just above idle .
        My son has a heavy plastic bag in a steels frame for the leg to fit into ,than he fills to the top with water and a little soluble oil , he runs his 200 yama for a good 30 minutes or longer ! Is much quiter than just muffs !!

Comment

Working...
        X