Yamaha 115 1987 oil problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 1987 oil problem

Red light and buzzer went off on my Yamaha 115 while fishing. Engine oil tank was at the low level and started filling. Red light and buzzer never stopped and oil overfilled the engine oil tank. Had to switch the key off inorder to reset the sytstem.

When I got home I tested the engine oil sensor by slowly pulling it up our of the tank until the Red light and buzzer turned on and oil started filling the engine oil tank. I then turned the sensor upside down to simulate a tank full of oil - no change. Once again the red light, buzzer and oil flow didn't stop until I turned the key off and back on.

I think the sensor is probably bad -- am I headed in the right direction??

This is my first Yamaha so I have alot to learn. How should this system work?

I have a service manual on order for delivery later this week.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

If it has the original oil module you would have to turn key to reset, It's probably the oil module that needs to be replaced( the black box under eng. oil tank).
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks for your response. I wanted to give a little background info on the problem.

The original problem started late last year. The problem is that the oil would pump continuously whenever the key was turned on. I installed a toggle switch on the power wire. I tried ground the white wire at the sensor on the engine oil tank and couldn't get the flow to stop. According to previous posts on this subject this would lead me to believe it was the oil control unit. Therefore I bought a used oil control unit and installed in during the winter. I could turn the key on without the pump running so I thought problem solved. Started using the motor this year and now the problem is described as noted above.

Maybe my used oil control unit is not good??

Comment

Working...
      X