Engine goes up but not down????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine goes up but not down????

I have a 2003 225 Yamaha 4 stroke that will go up using all switches but will not go down using all switches.It does make a loud clicking noise when switch is pushed.Do I need to replace my trim tilt relay(it's about $250.00)or is there something else I can check?I posted this problem before but can't find it anywhere.Thanks for your help.

Rosie,
    Use a voltmeter and monitor the lead that goes from the down relay to the t/t motor when you engage one of the down switches. The clicking sound you hear should be the down relay kicking in to supply 12 volts to the down lead. If indeed the down relay is putting 12 volts on that lead, then the problem is a bad t/t motor or poor connection. Check all connections on the up/down relays and t/t motor. Also, make sure that the lead going from the up relay to the t/t motor is at ground when the down switch is engaged. That is the reuturn path for the t/t motor.
    If you determine that it is indeed the relay, might want to check www.ebay.com - type in "yamaha outboard" and see if there are any used relays up for bid.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X