1993 200hp #2 & 5 plugs not firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 200hp #2 & 5 plugs not firing

It seems the #2 & #5 plugs are not firing. Pull the plugs and they are wet (gas). Do these two shut down at idle? There are times you can pull the plugs clean them and it is fine. recently the problem is staying, no matter what you do. It will not go over 2800 rpm. It does not seem it is missing at idle. Starts fine. Thanks for any help

what happens when youre in the water, under load?

i would check coil leads,plug wires, run at night and look for any spark bleeding. you can try to swap coils and see if the prob moves. I was told that at lower rpms they would have one cyl on each side shut down. another test is at idle or maybe 1000-1200, pull each plug wire and watch and listen for change. carbed in `93 you might also want to clean out carbs and check your pump diaphrams.

Comment

On the water I cannot get it over 2500-2800 rpm will not go plane. not enough power. Does not seem it is missing when tring to put on the power. I have moved the coil and spark plug wire and the problem does not change. My mechanic recently cleaned the carbs and indicated that was the problem. I indicated to him that the problem is electrical. The problem was intermitted, now for the past few days 2 & 5 are not firing. When all are firing the egine runs great. Engine starts okay. No alarms.

Comment

nick,
        I would do a compression check on all cylinders. I would also get a Yamaha shop manual for that particular model and try to find out why #2 and #5 cylinders are not firing - ignition control, maybe?
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

sounds like problem I had with my johnson lose spark & power turned out to be bad trigger

Comment

Working...
          X