Boat Runs on Land but not in the Drink... please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Runs on Land but not in the Drink... please help

I have a 1989 225 excel that I got on a trade. I have had a myriad of problems with it. Now it runs on land but not on water.

On muffs it idles with a little bit of a wobble at 750 and starts up right away once warm. To get it warmed up I use the choke.

If i drop it in the drink it it will start ( sometimes and after a ton of choke) and idle around 700 but when I get under load It stalls and dies. It will then restart but dies soon and two to three times of doing this it is dead in the water.

The plugs look a little dark. When testing for spark some times my spark tester or timing light will "double tap" on some cylinders..

Any advice would be appreciated. This engine did not run when I got it. I have done the following to it:

I have resealed the lower unit it now pressure tests ok.

Compression test number between 123-135

I rebuilt the carbs and replace the fuel pumps which solved a never Idle problem.

Cleaned and flushed the fuel tank now have a water seperator and a filter

I removed the oil system, the oil mix system was full of water so I took the system out and took the pump drive out of the pump and removed the tank.
    (I know this is frowned upon but I needed to push my kicker on the same tank).

I have a yamaha manual and I resynced carbs and set the pilot screws to spec.
Working...
X