Starting problems w/40 HP 2-stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problems w/40 HP 2-stroke

I am having problems starting my 1997 40 hp, 2-stroke. Added new gas/oil this spring. When I set the choke and hit the key, it turns over and begins to catch. It dies after about 1 sec. On all subsequent attempts to start it and it turns over but does not catch. I changed the fuel filter and replaced the spark plugs and it has not changed the situation. Fuel is not the issue as the plugs get wet. I suspect the source of the problem is electrical. I bought the boat two years ago and it always was a little tough to start. This spring, it is now unstartable. Could it be my battery is worn out even though my portable battery meter says a full charge? It is a deep cycle battery. Should I replace it with a starting type battery (I have no other electronics on board)? Can I jump start the battery/engine with my car? Will that cause any problems? Any assistance on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Fudman,
    If the motor set up for at least four months without being run, and you did not follow the "winterization" routine outlined in the owners manual, then the carbs are probaly gummed up. You can remove the needles of the jets of the carbs and squirt some Berrymans Chemtool into the seats. That might help. If not, then a carb rebuild is probably in order.
    If your battery has enough power to turn the motor over, then it is good enough to run it after it fires up. If you have no accessories hooked up to the battery, then you need to have a starter type battery for your outboard - or a dual purpose would be ok too.
    Yes, it would be ok to jumper with the car battery, as long as both batteries are 12 volts.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanx, Ken. You are exactly right. I did not winterize last year or the year before, which explains the continuous gradual deterioration of the starting. Appreciate the prompt advice!! Many thanx!

Comment

Working...
      X