F50 won't start - electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F50 won't start - electrical problem

I have an 03 f50 that has an occasional problem. Sometimes when I try to start, I can only hear a zapping sound from the motor and the starter never spins. Is this the plugs firing and a relay telling the starter to engage is bad? This happens intermittently without rhyme or reason. To further confuse me, it recently made the same zapping sound when I tried to trim/tilt. This would tell me that zapping is not the plugs.

Once I wait a bit it may/may not start just fine.

Any suggestions?

maybe a bad connection on the battery cables

Comment

I don't think it's a power issue because sometimes when it won't turnover (but makes zapping sound) the trim works just fine.

Comment

zapping sound sounds to me like electrical arcing, check the connections

Comment

I don't think it's a power issue because sometimes when it won't turnover (but makes zapping sound) the trim works just fine.

Comment

Sorry for the double post. I agree that it sounds like arcing but it's beneath the cowling. Also if it was a bad connection wouldn't the starter and t/t not work at the same time.

Comment

Battery cables have connections on both ends and one end is under the cowling. Check them it does not cost anything to look or put a wrench on the bolts/nuts

Comment

Working...
              X