Oil Issues Cause Blown Cylinder on Yamaha 130hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Issues Cause Blown Cylinder on Yamaha 130hp

Have Yamaha 130 hp that was showing low oil, but the oil tank was full. Dealer did not correct the problem. Then, apparently, a cylinder blew. Is there any relationship between oil issues and a blown cylinder?

I'm not a mechanic but if you aren't getting oil into the cylinder, and you have metal on metal, I would think that you would have premature cylinder/piston trouble. Did you take it in when you had the oil issue and they didn't fix it?

Comment

I think bebrown is right did you take the piston cylinder in when you had the oil trouble.I think you should get it checked.
      [URL="http://ww.wheelsmustang.com"]Mustang Wheels[/URL]

Comment

I have heard that lean fuel will get a piston and oil issues will get bearings.

The alarm on the Yamaha is for level, hopefully you did not run it out of oil. the system should be cleaned and tested for proper flow from time to time and there are filters that need to be replaced in the tanks that can restrict flow .

Comment

Cylinder/Oil Issue on Yamaha 130hp

The tach was flashing low oil but the oil tank under the console was full. The Dealer said the reserve tank was working fine and replaced a oil sensor, stating the level was being "misread". Took it out and it was still flashing low oil, but reserve tank had oil in it. Had been out about 10 minutes, when an awful sound of metal on metal was heard and motor died. Would not start. I am trying to figure out if the original problem was ever fixed, and if not, did that lead to a blown cylinder (which is what the dealer claims has happened). Anyone have any thoughts on oil issue causing cylinder damage?
          Last edited by Hodgeb; 07-07-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X