'95 2 Stroke 115hp Won't start, Cranks fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 2 Stroke 115hp Won't start, Cranks fine

I recently bought a 96 skeeter fish n ski with 1995 Yamaha 115hp 2 Stroke on the back. The guy I bought it from had an $800 over-haul/tune-up done on it right before I got it. Not sure what all they did, I know they cleaned out the carb and serviced the lower unit, replaced spark plugs, new batts, etc.....It has fired immediately and ran perfect the 5 times it has been in the water. On what was to be its 6th outing last weekend, it wouldn't start. Cranks just fine, but wont ever start. I will include the fact that I ran it out of gas(fuel gauge doesnt work) on the 4th outing, but it started and ran fine the whole day its 5th time. My local boat service shop is backed up for 2 weeks, and I already have too much tied up in the boat, and would like to try to attempt to fix the problem myself. I have been told by a couple of people, not mechanics, but boat owners, that it sounded like the fuel filter. I just plain ole don't know where to start being a new boat owner. Any help is greatly greatly appreciated.

Did you check the kill switch to make sure it is not pulled loose?

Check to see if it has spark, that will narrow it down a little.

Comment

I checked the kill switch on it that same day because that had already happened to me once, and the spark plugs are getting a good arc when tested with the boot off but close by, if that is what u meant.

Comment

did you check all cylinders or just one for spark?
        motors need compression, spark (at the correct time(timing)), and the right mix of fuel and air.
        How does the primer bulb feel will it get firm when priming for start up?
        Is it getting fuel to the carbs or flooding out?
        Is the choke functioning?

You can try putting some fuel in a spray bottle and shooting some into the carbs to see if it will fire

Comment

Working...
        X