hard starting 9.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard starting 9.9

I have a 98 model 9.9 that is a hard starter. I've cleaned the carb but the problem seems to be in the "starter solenoid" that riches the mixture that sits on the top of the carb. Does anyone know what the voltage that supplies that "starter solenoid" is supposed to be? I don't seem to be getting any voltage to it, so it doesn't seem to work? Is there a blown fuse that I can't find or a way to test them? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

fix your hard starting no problem

I had a hard starting 9.9 but not anymore, I got tired of the electric choke working crappy. I'am a machinest and machined up a manual choke and fitted it to the air horn. I tested and what a difference that made with the first turn of the key she fired right off. I going to start making these for retrofit on the 9.9's that have electric choke. I believe from 98-2003 yamaha was still using this carb setup. I think the main problem with the electric choke is the passage for fuel enrichment may be so small*thats its*hard to get really clean. I hate engineers that try to out smart the industry with a solenoid thats hard to adjust and even harder to keep clean. I have seen a lot of post on this issue and hope to market this in the coming weeks. I will have to machine your airhorn and send it back then you will just have to drill a small hole for the rod to go thru. In the morning you just push the choke on then pull to about half way a wait for the motor to warm up. If you are interested in this fix contact me scott_alliedscrewmachine@comcast.net. I have seen guys saying the would buy* new carb but the problem most likely will return later. The only way to fix the problem forever is to out fit it with a real choke.
    Oh some shops can fix the problem but it will return and you will pay again to fix it. The way i have it you eliminate the electric choke by unplugging it. If you try to run it with the electric choke hooked up it won't run very good at all. I just looking to see right now if their is interest in the fix if not i got mine fixed at least.

Comment

for starter its not a solinoid, is a simple electrothermal valve that I have never seen any issues with.
      as long as the tech messing with the carb understands.
      the voltage is supplied via a power coil or lighting coil.
      no adjustments to it.
      mine has run many many years and I have never messed with it.
      my neighbor bought his new in 02 and its never been touched.
      typically its caused by varnish in the carb from fuel residue.
      a mechanical choke will mask that issue for a bit, until the pilot fuel jet clogs.
      then ya dissasemble and clean it anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X