What would you do? 1996 150hp crank shaft sheared in 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do? 1996 150hp crank shaft sheared in 2

Tried to go fishing on Saturday for the first time in a few months. Started the engines at the house the night before no problems. Ran each of them for 2-3 minutes on the ear muffs. Got to the ramp Sat Am and started the starboard motor up and it started fine within 3-4 seconds of turning over. I looked back to make sure it was peeing fine and then turned around to start the port motor. After running for less then 5 seconds or so I hear "clankity clank clunk" and it dies out. NOT A GOOD SOUND TO HEAR AT THE RAMP. I pull the cowling off and am greeted by a KICK in the family jewels! The fly-wheel is not laying horizontal as it should. I pick it up, and can lift the entire wheel out! The crank-shaft has sheared in two!! I get home, take out the spark plugs and am able to rotate the remaining shaft sticking up about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn using a pair of channel locks. Apparently the engine didn't freeze up or I don't think I would have been able to turn it at all. Upon further inspection of the sheared off piece there is a portion that looks shiner then the rest. I think that maybe there was a defect in the shaft and that it finally gave way and broke. (The shiny part could also be from where the top half hit the bottom half during the "clankity clank clunk". Here is a picture of the shaft where it goes into the block.

The engines are 1996 Yamaha 150's I don't know the exact hours on them because the previous owner did not have a gauge. I have had the boat since 2004 an have 400+/- hours on them. Since my ownership all regularly scheduled maintenance has been followed.

My question to the O Wise forum is how would you proceed?
    1. Take the engine apart and replace the crank-shaft and all necessary parts ie bolts, gaskets etc
    2. Replace the whole power head
    3. Try and find another 1996 150HP engine (not in the budget now)
    4. Repower the boat (Really not in the budget now)

OH THE JOYS OF BOAT OWNERSHIP!

The boat is a 1996 Grady White.

Need to inspect all parts in engine to make sure everthing else is ok before replacing crankshaft, if anything is suspect then probably better off replacing powerhead.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks for the info. Not looking forward to this repair bill.

Comment

Working...
      X