Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine won't shut off

Hey all, new to boating and this forum.

I have a 2000 G3 with the 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke center console, and it has the 703 remote control box.

On my second trip out today, I ran into an interesting problem. The motor wouldn't shut off with the key or the emergency stop. I went to the battery, thinking that if I interrupted the circuit it would stop, but it kept running. The only way to stop it was fuel starvation.

I removed the 703 from the boat, which is going to be tough to reinstall as there is no way to reach behind and hold the nut and washer in place when reinstalling (but I will cross that bridge when I get to it).

Before I head to the dealership, is there anything else I can check? I have the 703 open and to my untrained eye the connections appear to be good.

In my seaches of the previous posts on this topic, it seems like the white wire can be a culprit. If the connections in the remote are good, where should I check on the engine? I find it hard to believe both switches are bad so my guess is it would be something between the kill switch and the motor, right?

Thanks in advance from a newby.
    Last edited by VT160C; 06-20-2010, 11:07 PM. Reason: Added info

Probably a broken white wire inside main harness, you can check continuity on wire between the 10 connector where it plugs into engine harness and at keyswitch.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks.

I unplugged the kill switch and tested the white wire to the connector at the motor. It was a good line. So, I tightened the connection between the kill switch and the white wire as it was a little loose, and I figured I would put some white lithium grease around the connector and reassemble the 703 to see if maybe that did the trick.

I reassembled the 703 and the last thing I was doing was tightening the hex rings around the ignition switch and kill switch, and wouldn't you know it but I broke the kill switch housing.

Two questions, before I remove the 703 and start again.

1- Does the engine turn over if the kill switch is removed?

2- If it does, do I need to drop the boat in the water and see if it would go?

Thanks again. I have a trip to Canada later in the week and if I hope to fix this before I go rather than leave my boat behind.

Comment

The starter circuit will work if kill switch is removed and as long as white is still connected to ignition switch then it should run and shut off with key.
        Last edited by boats.net; 06-22-2010, 10:26 PM.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks again for the replies. Hopefully someone can learn from this.

Here is the latest. I had to order a new kill switch as the dealership didn't have one in stock. After reassembling the 703 I hooked up the motor to the hose and the motor did the same thing - wouldn't stop with the key or kill switch. I disassembled the unit again and found the white connector on the kill switch had come loose. I plugged it back in after a light crimping and it seems to work as it should.

I will be replacing the kill switch assembly after my trip and I will report back in the thread after the trip.

Again, thanks, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I think this was the fix, and hopefully someone can learn from this

Comment

kill switch

hello there

my dad accidentally stood on the kill switch after that the engine wouldn't stop so we bought a new switch when we took off the control panel the white wire was off and the black wire was still on the switch we put the white wire back on the switch and the engine still would not stop so we put the new switch on but the engine still would not stop. can you help me? it a yamaha 40 horse 2 stroke engine 1995

Comment

Sorry, I don't think I have the expertise to help you on that. Mine appears to work after replacing the kill switch but I haven't run the boat in the water to be certain. I will reply when I know how it works.

Comment

Working...
              X