• 115 hp Oil/Smoking issues

S115TLRW 1998 approx 705 hrs

I cranked my engine after a short stop and the engine did the following:

RPMS dropped a small amount
    Smoked excessively for 15 minutes
    Bogged when I tried to accelerate
    Leaked large amount of oil inside the cowling
    Smoking slowly dimished

I limped in at 1000 rpm for 2.5 hrs. Opened the cowling and I notice the oil reservoir was over max level and oil was leaking out the top. All the oil transfered from the remote tank. I thought it blew a piston initially but a visual inspection and a crude compression check with my fingers indicates they are ok. Spark plugs are fouled with oil.

Any suugestions would be appreciated. If this is just an oil transfer issue, why did it smoke excessively?
    17MA

Bump

After searching, I learned that the oil overflow gets fed into the carb and this explains all the smoking.

It's still not clear what caused the excessive transfer of oil. The level control passes test and the wiring all looks good. The system is working now.

Could it have been the oil control unit?
    17MA

Comment

Possible a bad oil level sensor on engine oil tank, not shutting off oil transfer pump.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

float gets stuck sometimes from old oil in down position. take it outclean it up change out oil in tank clean it too. put fresh oil in.

Comment

I am having this same problem with a 2003 HPDI and already replaced the engine oil level sensor, worked for a day now same thing.. everything seems to be assembled correctly. I was told that these sensors rarley go bad.

I am gonna do an ohms test on that sensor. right now the manual pump swith works but the pump never shutts off when it reaches the top poisition any help would be awsome....joe

Comment

3 trips later and it's still working like normal.

I'm hearing reports that this problem intermittingly returns though.
            17MA

Comment

Working...
            X