mid 80's 90hp yamaha 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid 80's 90hp yamaha 2 stroke

Here is a problen i could use some help with.The other day this engine quit on me at cruising speed. I was being towed in when my attempts to restart finallly worked and i went home under power. I first thought of e-10 , but i have a 12 gal plastic tank , with a line running to a fuel water sep then a line to the engine. all filters and fuel sep are new, the gas has been in the tank sitting for 3-4 wks , prior to this. I will check all filters and put in new gas allright but does it sound like a e-10 problem or an ignition problem?

It quit and then started back up sounds like a fuel delivery or fuel tank vent issue. Check fuel system from tank vent, pick-up, fittings, primer bulb(2 check valves in bulb), quick disconnect on front of motor, fuel pump, fuel filter, carb float needle valves, drain each carb to check for water or debris. You may have a bad gasket, O-Ring, seal, plugged vent line, bad primer bulb, bad fuel pump. Good Luck and let us know what you find!

Comment

I will check all those items you mentioned , thanks . I have been advised also to go with higher octane gas by the way.

Comment

The regular, 87 octane is fine for that motor, that's what I run in mine with no problems. Keep us posted on what you find!

Comment

1984 90 hp yamaha

I can' believe i am even admitting this but the time my engine quit in cruise was caused by the vent release on the fuel cap on the gas tank being all the way closed. It was the first thing i checked, but on the safe side it was not the last . I checked the plugs , fuel filters and lines , all good. I have since been out 3 times for a fairly long period of time at cruise and no problems. What can i say!

Comment

Probably not a bad idea to just leave your fuel tank vent slightly open all the time so sunlight/heat doesn't build up in the tank.

Comment

Working...
            X