X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 50 hp stalls after idle or throttle

Year: 1991
    Model: 50ELRP
    This motor has very low hours, because it doesn't see much action. Last year it started to stall when I went from full throttle to idle. This year, before I ever took it out, I replaced the fuel filter and its o-ring. I cranked it up and couldn't get it to idle. I pulled all the carbs and cleaned them. Carbs were in excellent condition except that the jet 0-ring had deteriorated and clogged the idle jet. After reassembling, it idles great for 15-16 seconds (I timed it 4 times), then it stalls. I thought it just needed to be opened up with a load on it, so I took it to the river. It runs great at full throttle but stalls when coming back to idle. Any suggestions?

i am having the exact same type of problem with my 1992 yamaha 90hp 2 stroke. the engine runs fantastic at wot and basic cruising speeds, when i go to drift/anchor and dock, it might stall ( not always)

Comment

Sounds like pilot jet/passages are plugged, you need to clean again. Make sure you disassemble carbs completely and use carb cleaner and compressed air, Don't forget to do the link and sync when you put carbs back on.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Sounds like pilot jet/passages are plugged, you need to clean again. Make sure you disassemble carbs completely and use carb cleaner and compressed air, Don't forget to do the link and sync when you put carbs back on.
        "link and sinc"?

Comment

adjust the carbs and linkage to have them close and open exactly the same on all cylinders so they run the same. It is in the service/repair manual. if you do not have one get one for your motor.

Comment

Working...
          X