HPDI powerhead issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPDI powerhead issue

I have twin 2005 HPDI 200 HP engines. One engine started stuttering on acceleration and only came up to 3200 rpm's. I had the mechanic check it. On one engine, the high pressure fuel pump became clogged producing only 50 psi instead of 700 psi. The same engine developed a slight knock which revealed wrist pin damage on the number 1 cylinder. All of the filters had been changed at the start of the season one week prior and the first trip had no problems. After refueling and going for the second trip, this problem developed one hour into the trip.

I have turned this over to my insurance company. The initial response is that the cylinder issue is wear and tear and not related to the fuel pump issue. My mechanic said these engines are good for 4 to 5,000 hours and should not fail at 1,000 hours which is what is on the engines. He said that fuel is important cooling component of the cylinders and that when they are starved of fuel, the cylinder can overheat and cause this type of failure. Anyone have any knowledge of this type of problem Thanks.

A lean condition usually results in detionation and a melted piston, but without seeing it hard to say what caused damage.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X