1991 - 225 TXRP: Enging Shut down at high RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 - 225 TXRP: Enging Shut down at high RPM's

I just purchased a reman power head that is fully dressed. This engine is difficult to start sometimes, but once it is running, it idles decent. Once you get on the throttle, and the boat planes out, the engine will run for about 30 seconds, before it completly begins to shut down. It almost sounds like the engine is seizing up. Sometimes the enging is seized and the starter just hits the fly wheel and stops. After a few tries, it finally turns over and rattles for a minuite, then its fine. Then you get on the gas and it does the same thing like clock work. I have changed the fuel pumps, the primer, I put on another Computer and coils, checked the crank sensor, disconnected the thermosensors, knock sensor, ect.. I must be missing something, but im not sure what? Could the lower unit be siezing up and stalling the engine? Any information is helpful.

Run a compression test, if have piston damage may see aluminum on spark plugs.
    Remove bottom drain screw in gearcase and look for metal on drain screw magnet.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

No metal in cylinder heads. Plugs are buring good. Compression is around 120 on 1 and 2, 118 in 3 and 4, 117.5 in 5 and 6.
      Gear Case has metal on the magnet, and fluid is milky brown, indicating water. I just figured the lower unit would be all or nothing? Again, its very consistant, at 3,900 RPMs, it shuts down, and siezes up the engine. Then it will release, and allow it to start, and then it idels normal.. I am fooling around with the internal compression, to make sure its providing enough to push the fuel through the pumps and into the carbs. Any more info is helpful.
      Thanks

Comment

lower unit is locking up motor

Comment

Working...
        X