2002 F80LTRA Removing Cabs with manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 F80LTRA Removing Cabs with manifold

I need to replace the in-line fuel filters located at the carbs on my motor. The top carb is not getting fuel and the motor will not start because of it.

I have had this repair done twice at the dealer at a cost of nearly $1000 each time. The last time the fix lasted less than two months. Before you ask or recommend additional filtering I am using a 10 micron filter / water separator just past the tank.

A friend, who does boat repair, suggested that this is a DIY job. He said I could remove the entire intake manifold with carbs attached in order to reach the filters that are buried. He said that if I do it this way, I can keep all the linkages attached and not need to balance the carbs upon re-assembly.

1. Does my friend's method sound reasonable ?

2. How do you get the bottom bolts on the intake manifold off? They are below the cowling. I don't see any way to remove the cowling.

Thanks for looking!

Jon
    Last edited by JRad; 06-06-2010, 03:07 PM.

Yes if you don't take carbs loose from manifold you wont have to sync carb again. The bottom bolts will come out with a universal joint type socket. Need to replace manifold gasket, it's not reuseable.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. It didn't look like I could reach in there with a universal. I'll try it.

After looking over the job it seems like a lot more work then pulling a single carb. Even if I don't touch settings, will removing a carb from the manifold require syncing again?

Comment

Yes if you remove carb or linkage from manifold it will need to be resync.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks much. I just ordered my parts, including the gasket, from Boats.Net.

BTW - I spent about a half hour with Google researching parts prices including shipping and you are by far the best deal going.

If I can get this done on my own, my cost will be about $73 (+ a case of beer for the helper) including a few small parts for other parts of the motor that need replacing. Last time the dealer replace the filters it was over $900 for parts and labor.

Thanks again for the advice and good prices

Comment

Working...
          X